Monday, September 19, 2011

Surrealism Exhibition


Yesterday I went to the Surrealism exhibition at the Gallery of Modern Art in Brisbane (there’s still a few weeks left if you want to check it out, ends October 2nd).

Here are a few of my favourites from the show;

Chimère by Max Ernst, 1928.

Named for the mythical Chimera, I personally think it looks more like a Harpy. The colours were more vibrant in person.
The Red Model by René Magritte, 1935.
Heron of Alexandria by Victor Brauner, 1939.
At the gallery this painting seemed to have an inner glow, it captivated me.

Le Labyrinth by André Masson, 1938.
The concept of the labyrinth and the myth it relates to has always fascinated me. The blurb beside this painting stated that this was an inversion of the myth in which the labyrinth is trapped inside the Minotaur. I also really liked Masson's The Secret of the Labyrinth.

The Acropolis by Paul Devaux, 1966.
I'm so sad I couldn't find a better quality picture for you. The levels in this painting were delightful, each time I looked at it I was surprised. The sinister beauty was mesmerising.

If you live near Brisbane you really should check it out, the exhibition and history surrounding the Surrealist movement will blow you away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...